Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Guilt

Anyone else feel guilt when missing a run?
I must justify, today is the last day before finals, so inevitably the day is filled with some aspect of study. Because the day is spent studying running gets put on the back-burner. Well, this evening, when studies were complete, thunderstorms had rolled in and decided to dump gobs of rain accompanied by lightning and mucho gust-o-s (get it? mucho gusto, like many "gusts". HA). With all of these factors I've decided not to run; however, there is an associated guilt with missing a day. There is an feeling of success when training goes as planned and progress is positive. Although, remembering last summer, the guilt ends up forcing training that leads to burnout.
In a sense, it is a good reminder that it's ok to miss a day. I don't want to end up running from a sense of obligation.
I must tell myself, it's okay not to run, it's ok to miss a day, and I will not spend the rest of the week making up missed miles.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

2 comments:

Abby said...

Hmmm... guilt? I don't know if I'd call it guilt. I think I'm okay with missing a day or two here and there, but I can get restless and cranky!

Unknown said...

Hmm...yes, if there is an important workout, I feel sort of guilty if I miss it. If it is just a run, then I don't feel too bad...although I usually throw in some extra PT to make myself feel less lazy.

Rest is just as good as a hard run, remember that, so if you need to take a day off, do it!