Sunday, November 2, 2008

Advocating Universal Hearing Screenings

That's what I have been reading and writing about all day today. Paper due tomorrow. Solid 5 hours on it this afternoon, and an on/off evening session. Finally wrapped it up at exactly 12:00am.

There are many aspects of running that can be applied to other situations. For example, writing this paper. The five hours was sort of like a long run. It was a little slow starting, found a nice groove in the middle, had to stop a few times to stretch and rehydrate, and near the end got a little hungry.

The evening section of the paper was just like on/offs. Short durations of work and productivity followed by moments of lag and distraction (like a dog trying to not pay attentions to that delicious bbq flavored pig ear lying right next to him).

Decided to take today off. The hip flexors are a bit tight today, which must mean they were worked well yesterday. However, that's not why I decided to take today off. Mainly, my focus and goal today was to complete this paper. Success! Proud of today. Set a goal, worked hard and diligently, and completed it. Another reason why wasn't too motivated to run today was to give the body rest. The stomach didn't feel to hot this morning, and after putting some food in the belly it was still uneasy. Now, things are back to normal. I talked myself into listening a little more to what my body is trying to say rather than push through everything. Yesterday's run was only the second time where I was really concerend about my health (the first being kidney irritation during the 75er). Even though it's hard to understand for me, but I have been told that rest is just as important as training.

Good news, got over 8 hours of sleep last night and I'm looking to get another solid sleep tonight. Just last night I woke up the one of those half-awake/half-asleep dreams. I though people were coming over and had all of their luggage in my room. I thought to myself, "oh shit, I was sleeping when everyone stopped by and I didn't even wake up when they came in!" After lying back down for a bit I was able to analyize what was going on and that, in fact, there were no visitors coming and that the room did not have a bunch of luggage in it. It was pretty trippy.

Extra bonus points for those who ran today.
Hope all is well west and even farther west.

Happy time change to all!

Peace and comfort

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pretty crazy, that dream was...pretty crazy! Sometimes I wake up and look around my room and for some reason think that I am laying in the opposite direction. My eyes can't seem to focus that great, but then they do and I'm like "wtf?"

Yes, that is good you are listening to your body. Rest is very important, sometimes even more important than running. For instance, I am not running today. I feel like I could, but since I put a lot of miles in this weekend with back-to-back long runs, I know that my body is in a weakened state, that there are probably micro-tears in the muscle or something that need to rebuild before I get stronger. If I didn't take today off, there would be no rebuilding and I would be simply be training on a body that is prone to injury.

Nice job with the sleep! That's where it is: 8 hours. That's the way to sleep!

Hope your next week proves to be productive...

Anton said...

Neat dream. I like those. I actually came back and moved all the luggage before you woke up for real. Didn't want you to trip after such a nice sleep.

Hawaii doesn't change time. Weird.