Sunday, October 19, 2008

Itchy Neck Syndrome

Good evening,

after my long run through the woods of the National Arboretum a red rash appeared on my neck. I thought nothing of it until it lingered and itched. Well, it's still here. I wonder what it could be. It's not spreading, it's itchy, it's red, and it has not improved much in a week. My plan is to just ignore it until it becomes unbearable or goes away.

Had a great run today back at the Arboretum. Jo tagged along as she had just recently arrived from New York and had not yet run. The plan was 6-10 easy. Well, we did an easy 2 mi. wu to the Arboretum and I was feeling good. It was quite cool out today, but decided to go without the shirt. Ended up doing a 6.2 mi medium/tempo hill run. Felt great. A bit of burning on the uphills and a strong steady breathing rhythm the entire time. A few difficult slumps to push through but nothing out of the ordinary. The weather was perfect for this run. Not hot, and not too cold, but just right. It was one of those days that is you're running it's perfect, but as soon as you stop you freeze.

Jo did a 2 mi. hill workout while I did my run. We timed it just right and finished within two minutes of eachother at the front gate. Took a quick stretch and headed back with a 2 mi. cd. Got back, hit the shower and went to eat.

The heart has been pumpin' pretty strong this evening, which usually means I'm dehydrated. Took a casual heart rate count for 1 min. and came up with 46. That's pretty good I think. Although, when I breath in my heart rate speeds up, and when I exhale it slows down considerably. Hmm, wonder what that means.

The legs have loosened up again, but it's time for new shoes, as I can feel a little irritation on my left heel. Hopefully I can get my mits on some Saucony Omni-6's. They worked really well in the past. If things go to plan, I will get in a PTF tomorrow evening after class, but it's all going to depend on food before hand. If I eat too soon before the PFT I will postpone, but who knows. We'll see.

Looking foreward to week number two of the program. 6 a day with an extended long on the weekend. Weeks 2 here we come!

Ben

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Me too on the breathing...it seems that my pulse slows a bit on the exhale and increases on the inhale. Either it is natural, or we both have a rare kind of disease.

I see that you are tailor the running program to your level of fitness and stuff like that. Good stuff. Soon you will be back up to at least 10 a day and 100+ weeks.

Anton said...

It's natural. Expanding the lungs promotes beating of the heart, exhaling relaxes everything.

It's fun reading your posts...it's like a good book.

I hope to start the program next week.