Sunday, February 1, 2009

Potomac Ice and Mud Adventure Run

Total of 18.2 today in 3:07:19. That averages out to 10+ min. per mile, but one must account for today's conditions.

Today's wave count, 14 out of 34. Still below 50%.

First 6 miles to trail head in 51:00 min.

Headed down to Mama Bear, which is the second water crossing on the trail. As the titles suggests, the trail consisted of either sloppy mud of single-track ice, which provided the adventure for today's run.

Depending on what part of the trail one is at there is a cliff/steep slope that falls into the river. Two times during the run I slipped and had to grab onto tree branches in order to keep from becoming the worlds lowest cliff diver. The first slip was near a 10-15 foot drop and the second was an estimated 50 foot drop.

Many times I had to walk and climb over the large rocks that cross the trail. Other times I just slid down the trail as if I was some sort of surfer dude. I reached Mama Bear (the turn-around) and was going to take a picture of the partially frozen waterfall; however, plans and priorities quickly changed when I slipped in a rock covered in ice. Both feet and lower parts of the legs ended up being submerged in the ice water. Immediately I started moving again because I fear that if I didn't my feet would become numb, which would make navigating the ice terrain even more treacherous.

With this quick change of events I felt hurried to prevent my body temperature from dropping. On the way back was when the second tree-grabbing fall occurred. Soon after the fall I came back across Baby Bear (the first water crossing). With fallen trees there as not a common path to indicate what route other people had taken. I ended up climbing higher than the trail, and at the top I realized there were no other options other than to climb back down another way. During my decent I stepped on what I thought was something solid with my right foot. It turned out to be ice, covered with snow, that had frozen in between rocks. The ice gave way and my shin grinded against the rocks below, which added to the series of gashes I received when tripping over that chain fence.

A few more close calls and slips I ended up making it back to the trail-head with no serious injuries. However, when it rains it pours. With 3 to 4 miles left I crashed/bonked/hit-the-wall. I had not eaten enough before starting the run and was hungry throughout its entirety. Also, climbing the rocks and running the trail had consumed more energy than I had anticipated. As a result, my pace slowed and a trickle effect occurred. Because my pace had slowed the cold wind had more of an impact on my saturated body. By time I had gotten back I was cold to the core.

Quickly, I got inside, showered, got some food in me, bundled up in extra clothes, turned on the heat, and wrapped up in blankets. I ended up passing out for an hour and woke up feeling warm and relaxed.

Overall, it was an excellent adventure.

5 comments:

Abby said...

Wow, what an adventure! Sounds like more than 18.2 with all that slipping/sliding/gashing/etc.

Unknown said...

Surfer dude! Hang 10! (I seriously don't' know what that means, or if it applies to surfing. I am thinking that it does. I want you to research it and get back to me.)

No, I'll do it.

Hold...

•••••

From wikipedia:

Hanging Ten is a surfing maneuver and is considered one of the most impressive and iconic stunts one can perform with a surfboard. Hanging ten is when the surfer positions the surfboard in such a way that the back of it is covered by the wave and the waverider is free to walk to the front of the board, hang all ten toes over the nose of the board, all while holding two "high fives" up in the air as a celebratory indication of this feat.

Ben said...

Interesting. Hang ten.

What should the celebratory saying for runner be? Kick it? Don't cramp? Got the runs?

Anton said...

Awesome adventure dude! I WANT to run that trail. Sounds like a blast!
And all the slipping and sliding and near catastrophic events...sweetness!

With respect to waves, you should see if you can get on one of the military bases. I don't know about the Army or Marine ones, but everyone, I mean everyone, on the Navy and Air Force bases wave when they're running or biking. Even if you're across the street. It's awesome!

I'll collect some for you and send them in an envelope.

Ben said...

thanks man.