Thursday, January 8, 2009

Catch-up

Just like the joke from "Pulp Fiction," I squashed the baby tomato that fell behind and said, "ketchup!"

After that atrocious aerobics workout from Tues. and nothing yesterday I had to revive my spirits with a workout today. Once again, the getting up early plan failed as I slept in.

Now, it's 35, windy, and feels like 28 (I only put the temp because I know both The Duke and Abby are in colder places than I). I wasn't sure what kind of run to do today. 4 miles around campus seemed boring. Running through the ghetto at night seemed too dangerous. Thus, I decided to hit the track.

What kind of workout could I do on the track that would both a) help improve my cardio and b) make me feel less lazy from the past two days? How about a:

SKINNY SUPER MAMMOTH!

If you don't remember what the Mammoth workouts consist of here is a refresher from The Duke's blog:

Mammoth = pullup, situp, pushup
Full Mammoth = pullup, situp, pushup, fire, dip
SUPER MAMMOTH = 200 meter sprint, pullup, situp, pushup, fire, dip
WOOLY MAMMOTH = 200 meter sprint, pushup, situp, pushup, fire, dip, 25 meter swim sprint

I'm calling today's workout a skinny super mammoth because I didn't incorporate pull and dips into the workout until after, and even then I wouldn't include them. Here's how things went down.

Started with a 1/2 mile warm-up and quick stretch
Jumped into PT/run routine with no breaks.
PT included 10x: 12 varied push, 24 varied sit, 30 fire-haulers, and a 200m tempo/medium
The first five sets felt great, and the push-ups were easy with the high heart rate. By the sixth set the heart was playing catch-up and the fire started. Push were the easiest, but the fire-haulers and sit burned like the dickens. Finished with 1/2 mile warm down.

After that, I went to the pull-up tree ready to knock out some stellar pull-ups only to find out that my arms didn't work anymore. After lots of struggling and about 2 1/2 "pull-ups" (if you could even call them that) I went to the dips. Did ten dips and threw in the towel.

I'm pleased with today's workout and plan to do it again.

Happy workouts to all.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good stuff. Glad you got in a good workout.

So how many sets did you do? 6? is that the number of sets that you did? How many sets did you do?

Abby said...

Impressive "skinny super mammoth". Girls are notoriously weak at pullups and I am one of those.

Will someone tell me what fire haulers are?

Ben said...

Fire haulers are just like making snow angels except on your stomach. Same motion with the arms.

Did 10 sets.